Monday, April 16, 2007

Adding Shadow to Object (Tutorial)

Okay, in this short tutorial. I'll try to show you how I add shadow to my object in Photoshop. I am using Photoshop CS2, but you can apply this technique in all version of Photoshop. This technique is very simple, I make the simulation of the shadow by using the masking feature.

Okay, here is the step :
  • Put your object in a single layer. In this case, I used a text.



  • Duplicate your object layer, then Press Ctrl+T in your keyboard to flip the layer vertically by dragging the top center handle downward.
  • If you do it correctly, it should be looked like this :
  • Make sure that your active layer now is the duplicated layer. Then, activate masking by clicking the mask icon at the bottom of your layer pallete
  • Press "D" on your keyboard to change your foreground/background colour to Default (Black & White). Pick your Gradient Tool (G) then drag your mouse button downward as follow :
  • Low down your duplicated layer opacity a bit and your shadow is finish. The masking tool lets you hide everything which is painted with black. Therefore when we apply a white to black gradient, it makes a nice fading effect to the object.

    Have a try! I'm sorry if my English is terrible :D

    1 comment:

    the-destruction's said...

    jangan pake bhsa inggris bos dak ngerti laju .........